When it comes to wearing flip flops during the warmer months, it’s time for you to leave those flimsy flip flops behind at the store and instead opt for something more supportive. So, what does a supportive flip flop look like? A supportive shoe will come down to three things: durability, the footbed, and arch height.
Traditional flip flops typically don’t have anything special about them to support your feet. Because of this, they can lead to you developing foot conditions such as tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, or some other general foot pain since there’s no cushioning protecting your heel.
Looking at statistics, only about 20 percent of the world has perfect feet without issues. The rest of the population has some sort of deformity, pain, issue, or foot condition that they must live with.
So, if you have issues with your feet – because of traditional flip flops or in general – why not invest in the best orthopedic flip flops that will give you the same relief and comfort as other orthopedic shoes.
The Best Orthopedic Flip Flops Advantages
The foundation of your body is your feet, so whether you’re wearing work shoes, athletic shoes, or flip-flops, you need to wear something that will provide optimal support and comfort.
So, what are the advantages of the best orthopedic flip flops?
- Excellent Support: The best orthopedic flip flops won’t just support your arches but will also provide excellent shock absorbency and cushioning to your foot. This will give your foot relief and comfort from a variety of painful symptoms that various foot conditions can cause.
- Enhanced Circulation: Most orthopedic flip flops are designed to be much roomier to provide better circulation for peripheral neuropathy conditions.
- Healing Time: Orthopedic flip flops are great options when you need your feet to heal after surgery or injury.
- Less Pain: The best orthopedic flip flops have been designed to provide support and comfort to reduce and alleviate pressure and pain.
- Better Mobility: When you feel less pain in your feet, you can move around easier and perform your daily tasks.
The main disadvantage of the best orthopedic flip flops is that they can be expensive. But when you put together all of the advantages that they bring, the high price can be outweighed.
Features of the Best Orthopedic Flip Flops
You can still rock cute flip-flops during the warmer months of the year without causing pain in your feet. However, there are some features that you should look out for to make that happen. For one, your flip flops shouldn’t be paper-thin: if your shoes can be easily broken, then they can easily damage your feet. Here are some other features to look out for:
- Uppers: Most of the best orthopedic sandals are made from either textile, leather, or EVA. Many options also have a padded, lined, or padded and lined upper thong for added comfort.
- Footbed: The footbed of the best orthopedic flip flops will be contoured for support. You’ll also enjoy enough comfort from materials such as foam and EVA and the support of technologies such as Arch support and Orthaheel Technology.
- Outsole: The outer sole of your orthopedic flip flop will typically be made from EVA, synthetic, or rubber with a lug or patterned tread for durability and slip resistance.
- Other Features: Some other good features to look for include an American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) seal of acceptance. This seal of acceptance means that it’s a medically accepted flip flop because the heel cup, arch support, or counter are ideal for orthopedic flip flops.
- Options: Most of the best orthopedic flip flop options will offer wider widths and extended sizes. There are also a variety of color options available.
Top Tips for Choosing the Best Orthopedic Flip Flops
Now that you have a better idea of some of the key features to keep in mind when searching for the best orthopedic flip flop for your feet, here are a couple more tips to help you find that pair that’s perfect for you:
- Arch Type: If you’re someone who has a flat arch, you will need to find a flip flop with much lower arch support to feel comfortable and vice versa.
- Footbed Type: The best orthopedic flip flop won’t have a flat footbed but instead will have a more anatomically and contoured-shaped footbed with enough cushioning. You’ll also find that the most comfortable orthopedic flip flops have a footbed that follows your natural foot shape.
- Width: Orthopedic flip flops should have a wider footbed, especially in the toe region. Or, at the very least, have options available in wider options.
- Slip Resistant: A good flip flop should have a durable outsole and be slip-resistant. So, when choosing the best orthopedic flip flop, make sure that it has an outer rubber sole. Rubber soles help support your feet and make you feel more comfortable.
The Best Orthopedic Flip Flops Reviewed
Below is a list of the top 11 best orthopedic flip flops reviewed so you can find the best option for you.
This orthopedic flip flop has earned the APMA Seal of Acceptance, a rare honor given to shoes that meet the organization’s strict standards for promoting healthy feet. What we love about these shoes is the half-inch heel and that the straps have a stylish bow on them.
The half-inch heel of these Vionic flip flops gives your feet a little more support, which is especially great if you have flat feet. They also have contoured arches that will match the curves of your feet to provide a more comfortable fit. Additionally, they’re stylish enough to wear with dressier clothes.
- Great support for high arches
- APMA Seal of Acceptance
- It can be worn with dressier clothes
- Takes some time to break-in
These simple, water-resistant orthopedic flip flops have great footbed cushioning that will make your feet feel incredibly comfortable. They have a very thick heel and arch but are made with a very soft and durable material. You’ll feel like you’re walking on a cloud every time that you slip on these orthopedic flip flops because you can wear these all day and not feel any discomfort or pain.
- Great for all types of foot conditions, including plantar fasciitis
- Great support
- Extremely comfortable
- Durability is questionable
These orthopedic flip flops are made with a quick-drying liner and water-resistant strap, so you can quickly go from the street to the beach in an instant. This supportive flip flop has outstanding arch support and an orthopedic shape that make these the best orthopedic flip flop choice for anyone with a foot condition. They come in a variety of color and width options for you to choose from, so you’re bound to find a pair that suits your needs.
- Great arch support
- The contoured footbed offers incredible stability
- Durability is questionable
Birkenstock offers these flip flops in both narrow and medium width sizes so that they can accommodate any size foot. The insoles are flexible and contoured, so they adjust to the shape of your foot while still cradling the curve of your foot. Another great thing about these sandals is that the cork footbed absorbs shock, and the toe bar is raised so that it naturally supports the way your feet move.
- Great for high arches
- Very lightweight
- Fit a variety of feet sizes
- Good shock absorption
- The cork footbed can be uncomfortable
These flip flops are just as flexible and lightweight as a flimsy pair of flip flops, but they’re much better for your feet. The rubber outsole has been made with herringbone flex grooves that give you that much-needed traction when you’re around water, and the comfortable upper sole gives you the freedom to move around freely.
- Extremely comfortable
These orthotic sandals are water-resistant and have a wedged heel that provides better arch support in the midsole. You can wear these while you’re at the pool or the beach, or even at a cookout – they’re that stylish and versatile! The leather thong on these thong sandals is cushioned, making them extremely comfortable to wear all day. You’ll find that they’re also incredibly lightweight and durable.
- Extremely comfortable
- Great arch support
- Very versatile
- Not great for wide feet
There’s no breaking-in required with these extremely lightweight flip flops. They’re made with a synthetic rubber outsole that ensures you get a proper grip. What’s even better is that you can get these orthotic sandals in a variety of colors.
The OrthoLite footbed will hug the arch of your foot, while the textile lining is so soft that it will keep your feet feeling comfortable all day. You’ll find that this orthotic flip flop has a very soft cushioned insole that will ease any foot pain you experience throughout the day.
- Extremely lightweight
- Come in a variety of colors
- Feature an OrthoLite footbed that will hug your arch
- They don’t come in half sizes
If you’re on the hunt for a pair of orthopedic flip flops that can be casual and classy, then look no further than the Vionic Kirra Backstrap sandal. The footbed is made from microfiber material that will absorb any shock that can cause knee pain and muscle imbalance.
The outer sole of these sandals has great traction, so you’ll feel safe wearing these sandals on any ground type. These flip flops are designed to hug your arches, and they also have built-in orthotics to keep pain from plantar fasciitis at bay.
- Great traction
- Backstrap makes your feet feel secure
- The footbed is made from microfiber material that absorbs shocks
- The strap can break very easily
These are considered the best orthopedic flip-flops if you’re going to be walking all day. Their cushion is designed to mold around your feet as you wear them throughout the day, are incredibly durable, and dry quickly for comfortable and slip-resistant wear.
The best thing about these flip flops is the fact that the whole flip flop is recyclable, and the webbing was made from recycled plastic – saving two plastic water bottles from going into the landfill. They have excellent arch support, a squishy bounce to them, and are made from comfortable fabric.
- Made from recyclable material
- Extremely comfortable for all-day wear
- Excellent arch support
- The bottom of the shoe is made from a felt-like material that can be slippery
These orthopedic flip flops will offer a neutral look that goes with any outfit but are made with high-quality and soft leather that gives you an elevated, chic look to your flip flops. The upper part of the sandal is made with a breathable microfiber material that provides you with a comfortable fit. The anatomical footbed will provide you with all-day support.
Additionally, the outer sole is made with rubber that has been designed with durability and excellent traction in mind.
- Made with breathable microfiber material
- Anatomical footbed to provide optimal comfort
- Designed to be extremely durable
These flip-flops are both supportive and stylish. The footbed is cushioned so that it softly cups your heel while providing optimal arch support that absorbs shocks with every step you take. The outer sole is made with rubber and has flex grooves that add traction and durability to the sandal.
The woven strap of this footwear is made from vegan leather detailing and recycled materials. It is recommended that you order a size up if you purchase these sandals to offer the most comfort and the best fit for your feet.
- Made from sustainable materials
- Provides great arch support
- Supportive and stylish
- They can feel very heavy on your feet