Every skater knows that the proper skate shoes are so important in being a successful skateboarder.
They are designed to help you stay on the board by having extra grip, they provide excellent ankle support and they also need to be durable against the trials you put them through.
Any good skate shoe will be comfortable and supportive, allowing you to pull off tricks with ease, but will also be able to provide protection for when those tricks don’t always go to plan.
Another big factor to consider when looking for a new skate shoe is the style. Whilst comfort and support are incredibly important it cannot be denied that looking your best when you’re out in the skate park is something that everyone is becoming more conscious of.
But is it possible to find a shoe that encompasses all of these qualities? With so many different skate shoes on the market, finding the right one for you can seem like a harder task than landing that kick flip.
But look no further!
Below you will find a list of the 5 best skate shoes on the market. We’ve also included a handy buyer’s guide, filled with all the important details you should consider when searching for your next pair of skate shoes.
Table of Contents
With the instantly recognisable Adidas 3 stripes, these Men’s Daily Skate shoes are a great choice for the style connoisseurs among you.
Adidas is a well known brand with a long history in sports apparel, so whilst you know you’ll be getting a shoe that looks good, you can also feel assured that you will be purchasing a skate shoe made with function in mind.
Being made from fabric they allow for a more comfortable feel on the foot whilst also having laces to ensure you can get the right tightness of fit for you. A fabric shoe will also stretch so you know your shoes will get more comfortable with every wear.
They also come with a rubber sole which is a great option when it comes to skate shoes as it provides excellent grip when you’re out on your board.
These skate shoes come in a multitude of colors, ensuring you can find the right one to match your own unique style and help you stand out among the crowd. Being a laced sneaker, this also allows for further customisation as you can swap the laces out for a different color.
On top of their functionality, they also double up as a fashionable everyday sneaker, ensuring you get your full use out of these shoes.
With the Adidas Men’s Daily skate shoe there is no doubt you’ll be getting a quality name brand shoe, that’ll make you the most stylish person at the skatepark.
- Variety of colours – with up to 16 colours to choose from, you are guaranteed to be able to find a shoe that suits your style perfectly.
- Trusted brand – Adidas have a long history in sporting apparel so you can trust you will be getting a good functioning skate shoe
- Rubber sole – provides you with good grip on the board
- Stylish – Double up as a stylish regular sneaker
- Durability – being a fabric shoe that would be undergoing a lot of heavy use there is potential for the fabric to wear quickly through repeated use
- Men's casual skate-inspired sneakers for every day
- Regular fit; Lace closure
- Breathable washed canvas upper
- Enjoy the comfort and performance of OrthoLite sockliner
- Rubber outsole with vulcanized look
If laced shoes aren’t your thing then look no further than the Lugz Men’s Clipper Sneaker.
Made from 100% canvas with a durable rubber sole you can guarantee both comfort and excellent traction with this sneaker. These shoes are also fitted with a cushion insole for added comfort and a breathable lining.
Not forgetting to mention that the flat rubber sole on these sneakers is great width and really allows for you to feel the board, making your ride smoother and just that bit easier.
The slip on and off style of these skate shoes is that of a really simple sneaker but if you dig that classic look then these would be ideal. They do come in a range of colors but the color stories overall are much more basic than some of the shoes on this list.
Ultimately, if you want to spend as much time as you can skating, then having a sneaker that you can slip on and off without having to mess around with laces is ideal and that’s why the Lugz Men’s Clipper is a great choice.
- 100% canvas – canvas is a much more durable material than fabric
- Cushioned Insole – for added comfort
- Durable – Vulcanized rubber outsole
- Classic slip-on style – with side gore panels that stretch for easy on/off
- Breathable lining – with a padded collar for a comfortable fit
- Not a great everyday shoe – due to the flatness of the sole, these sneakers are really meant to be used for skating as they won’t provide support in the same areas an everyday shoe requires
- Cotton drill lining
- Slip-on with elastic gore
- Classic vulcanized construction
- Durable rubber outsole
Any skater, new or old, will be familiar with Etnies. A skateboarder owned sports footwear and apparel company, Etnies understands just what is needed to make a good skate shoe and no ‘best skate shoe’ list would be complete without them.
This skate shoe boasts excellent durability, comfort, protection and style and it’s easy to see why they are a popular choice for skaters.
The Etnies Fader skate shoe is made with leather and synthetic uppers whilst retaining that all so important rubber sole. This style also comes with a recycled foam insole, a padded tongue and collar and benefits from some extra midsole support.
Given all the extra padding it has been recommended that you size up in these shoes to allow for the comfiest fit.
As these sneakers are made from leather they do boast a great amount of durability and have a low arch to help with board balance.
They also come in a nice variety of different colors which allows you to tailor them to your own specific style.
Overall the Etnies are a great choice if you are looking for an all round skate shoe that you know is made with function at the very heart of it, and there is also the added benefit of knowing that you are supporting a company that gives back to its sporting communities.
- Durable – made from leather and synthetic materials with a 300 NBS rubber outsole
- Perfectly designed for skating – Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Environmentally friendly – the open cell PU foam insole is made from recycled material
- Egg-crate midsole construction – provides excellent weight distribution across the heel
- Comfortable – features a padded tongue and collar
- Require breaking in – as they are a leather shoe they will require some breaking in order to achieve maximum comfort
- Inspired by our past, Built for our Future
- Recycled open cell PU foam insole
- Egg-crate midsole construction
- 300 NBS rubber outsole
- Padded tongue and collar
Just like the Etnies before, DC is another skateboarding titan. With their unmistakable ‘puffy’ silhouette and distinct DC branding, these skate shoes have been a firm favourite among skateboarders since they began.
The DC Men’s Court Graffik is made from leather giving it the needed durability required by a skate shoe but also features a lightweight padded tongue and collar which provides added comfort and support to your feet.
There are ventilation holes to help your feet breathe while on the move at the skatepark and a cupsole that has extra foot and ankle support for when you’re on your feet.
They also come in wide fitting options which is perfect if you are someone who struggles to find comfortable, wide fitting shoes.
The DC Court Graffik comes with many color customisable options and with a wide range of other DC merchandising you can really create a slick coherent look that will make everyone at the skatepark jealous.
- Durable – made from 100% leather
- Rubber sole – helps you secure excellent grip on your skateboard
- Perfectly designed for skating – Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Matching merchandise available – perfect for anybody looking to stick to a particular brand with all of their skating gear
- Come in a wide fit – ideal for skaters with wider feet
- Ventilation holes – keeps your feet cool while you skate
- Require breaking in – similarly to the Etnies, as these are a leather shoe they will require some breaking in order to achieve maximum comfort
- COMFORT: The lightweight, padded tongue and collar provide added comfort and support to your feet; Ventilation holes help your feet breathe while on the move at the skatepark, or on the way to class, work, or to hangout with friends
- UPPER: The Court Graffik upper is constructed with leather, nubuck, or suede and feature the DC Logo; Match the Court Graffiks back with DC tees, hats, fleece hoodies, shirts, pants, jackets, and more
- OUTSOLE: Our Court Graffik is contructed with a cupsole that provides extra foot and ankle support when you're on your feet
- COURT GRAFFIK: The classic puffy silhouette is always evolving with on-trend colors and new materials that keep the OGs coming back for more and the younger generation hungry for the latest-and-greatest skate styles
- DC SHOES: We’re passionate about skateboarding and we spend as much time on our skateboards as we do in the design lab so that we can always be ahead of the trends when it comes to knowing what skateboarders need to perform at their best
Much like Adidas, the PUMA Men’s Suede Classic Plus Sneaker provides that fashionable style skate shoe that would make anyone jealous.
The PUMA Suede Classic Sneaker delivers an old-school look that is a firm favourite with PUMA fans everywhere but with up to date features.
Such as a new form-fitting overlay on the uppers and padded interior and a cushioned midsole for plenty of comfort and support for your feet during each wear.
Being made from suede it provides that extra level of durability so makes an excellent choice for any dedicated skater and it also comes with that ever important rubber sole.
PUMA is a household name in the fashion and sport industry so you can be assured you will be getting a good quality shoe for both skating and everyday use.
The PUMA Suede Classic Sneaker provides a great option for style with a huge range of color options so you can really make a statement with this iconic shoe whilst also receiving the support, durability and protection that is oh so important when it comes to proper skate shoes.
Durable – made from 100% suede
Provides an excellent grip on your board – the rubber sole keeps your feet firmly in place even when you’re executing some killer moves
Comfortable – the Formstrip overlay features a lace-up vamp and padded collar and tongue for a comfortable, secure fit
Doubles up as an everyday shoe – the stylish design means you’ll be able to wear them in and out of the skate park
Suede isn’t very waterproof – if you want to make your sneakers last as long as possible you would need to purchase some waterproofing spray to ensure they last as long as possible
- Suede sneaker with Formstrip overlay featuring lace-up vamp and padded collar and tongue
You would be mistaken for believing buying a pair of skate shoes would be an easy task, after all they’re just shoes right? However this is not always the case.
There are a few important things that you need to consider to make sure you get the perfect pair of skate shoes for all your skating needs.
Below, we’ll look at some key points to keep in mind when you begin your search. Giving a little extra thought to these will help steer you toward the perfect choice and save you time and effort in the long run.
When looking at skate shoes the sole is probably the most important thing you need to take into consideration.
By having a flat sole a skate shoe allows you to feel the board which is critical when it comes to skateboarding itself – if you can’t feel your feet on the board then you are more likely to fall and cause injury.
A rubber sole is by far the best option when looking at skate shoes as they provide excellent grip and flexibility but also stand up well to the wear and tear that skate shoes will experience.
This is why all of the shoes on our list above include rubber soles.
The second most important thing to consider when buying skate shoes is durability.
No one wants to be buying and replacing their new skate shoes every month as not only is it expensive but if you don’t you are putting yourself at risk of injuries! Therefore a good durable shoe is a must.
Any shoe made from leather or suede should be able to provide you with a good amount of durability, structure and can also provide good protection from the elements.
With leather and suede shoes however, this does mean that there will be more breaking in required than a fabric or even canvas shoe so make sure you have thick socks or some band aids to hand in case of blisters!
Overall however leather and suede based uppers are the way to go if you’re looking for a long term skate shoe – and if you can find some skate shoes with double stitching this is even better! As it allows for just that extra bit of structure support.
While you need your skate shoes to provide an excellent level of performance, it’s also nice to have something that looks stylish!
With this in mind, think about your personal style and choose a pair that you’ll be able to wear to the skate park and to social events.
Take care not to sacrifice performance for style, though. It’s all about finding that perfect balance. If you can find a pair of skate shoes that you love the look of and that are durable, rubber-soled, and perfect for skateboarding, you’ll have found the holy grail!
Finally, it’s a good idea to set yourself a budget when you first start looking for a pair of skate shoes and trying to stick to it as closely as possible.
Prices can vary quite dramatically from brand to brand so it’s worth doing your research rather than simply relying on the notoriety of a particular brand.
Look at the materials, the size options, and check what the soles are made of. It’s also a good idea to check other reviews to see what previous customers have said about the skate shoes.
When you do this, you might be surprised at what you can find for a much lower price!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do skate shoes make a difference?
The simple answer to this question is yes. Proper skate shoes are critical to your success as a skateboarder, they provide excellent grip, proper support and allow you to skate to the best of your ability.
Not only that but they are durable and help protect your feet from any nasty injuries.
If you are just getting into skating you may want to purchase a cheaper pair of skate shoes to see how you enjoy it before investing in a good quality pair that will see you through years of your skating life.
Does it matter what style of skate shoe I get?
This comes down to personal preference, you may prefer the look of a slip on or you may prefer the feel of a high top but as a skateboarder the choice is ultimately yours to make!
The style of shoe will not affect your skating ability, it will just simply help you express your own personal style!
What is the best material for skate shoes?
When looking for a good skate shoe you should consider something with leather or suede uppers. Not only are these great durable materials but they also allow for great flexibility and can really help when you’re out on the ramps.