Every hardworking individual needs a few things, and often at the top of that list, you will find “excellent work gear.” There’s no substitute for owning a pair of reliable work boots that will not only keep your feet safe but also comfortable throughout the long working hours.
However, no matter how protective your work boots are, if you don’t have the best work boot socks on, you will still feel some level of discomfort. It can be argued that your work boots are only as good as the socks you pair them with on any given day.
As such, it’s important to pay close attention to the kind of socks you buy for your work boots. In this review, there are a number of excellent options that are not only effective but also easily available and relatively affordable. We also cover a few key factors you should consider when buying the best work boot socks.
Made out of 78% cotton, which makes them quite soft and comfortable, 19% polyester which makes them durable, 2% spandex which means they fit almost anybody, and 1% nylon which allows them to be quick-drying, these Dickies Men’s Dri-tech Moisture Control Crew Socks Multipack are an excellent choice for any working individual. The material of these cotton socks is perfectly balanced, which means that the socks are soft, breathable, and have moisture-controlling fibers.
This sock also features some excellent features that set them apart from the competition. For one thing, they have arch compression support, which means that your feet will not only be covered but well supported, giving you excellent stability. They also have ventilation channels that enhance airflow, meaning that your feet will remain dry and moisture-free even with extended wear.
- Extremely comfortable
- Ideal for machine washing
- They feature arch compression support for enhanced stability
- Reinforced heel and toe
- Since it’s made out of 78% cotton, it can create a damp feeling on your feet
- Soft Breathable Moisture Control Fibers
- Arch Compression Support and Stability
- Ventilation Channels Enhance Air Flow
- Durable Reinforced Heel and Toe
- Fabric content may vary by color
These Carhartt Men’s All-Terrain Boot Crew Socks are an excellent option for several good reasons. For one thing, they are highly comfortable. Designed to suit workers who spend hours with their work boots on their feet, these all-terrain, all-weather crew socks are the ideal option.
Some of the most outstanding features of these socks include the Nanoglide technology employed by the brand. This technology makes the socks effectively friction-free, making them more comfortable than most. They also feature a high heel flap that is both gentle and firm while reinforcing your arches and the base of your toes.
Not only does that make these socks practical and good for the skeletal structure of your feet, but it also makes them last a long time. Furthermore, since the socks don’t induce as much friction as others, you have a lower chance of developing blisters.
The socks also have instep channels and mesh cooling panels that promote excellent airflow, making them breathable. Additionally, the socks have different components engineered to take moisture and sweat away from the skin of your feet, leaving you feeling quite dry and fresh.
Made out of 43% polyester, 35% acrylic, as well as traces of wool, nylon, and spandex, these socks are comfortable, warm, quick-drying, and quite gentle on your feet.
- The braced arches support your feet
- Features Nano-glide technology reduces friction and increases durability
- 12-inches high, which provides full boot protection
- They come in a pack of 6 pairs
- Slightly bulkier than most other socks
- Only dark grey is available
- HANDLE ANY TERRAIN: Men’s crew work socks engineered for all-terrain, all-season comfort and performance
- NO BLISTERS: NanoGLIDE reinforcement reduces blister-causing friction and enhances durability
- FAST-DRY TECHNOLOGY: Deliver superior sweat-wicking action to quickly transport sweat and keep your feet dry
- BREATHABLE & SOFT: Mesh cooling panels and instep channels for added airflow and breathability; odor-fighting properties keep feet fresh
- LEGENDARY CRAFTSMANSHIP: Proudly American made and built to last as long as your boots; machine washable; crew boot socks for men available in a wide range of colors
As you can imagine, if these FoxRiver men’s Wick Dry Maximum Medium-weight Military Mid-calf Socks are good enough for military use, then they are probably good enough for your day-to-day work activities.
Made out of 70% polypropylene, 28% nylon, and 2% spandex, these socks are durable, breathable, and quite protective. One of the most standout features is that they have silver and copper embedded in their fibers, which works to reduce bad odors and increase their durability.
Featuring micropolypropylene technology, these socks are designed to stay in shape even through regular and prolonged use and multiple washes. The combination of materials used in making these socks makes them soft while offering increased cushioning. This means that your feet won’t suffer unnecessary blisters and will remain well protected even if you wear steel-toe shoes.
- They feature micropolymeresilane technology, which reduces odor
- Extra cushioning for comfort
- Toe and arch reinforcement
- Material that is both soft and durable
- They use the URfit System, which provides a custom fit
- They tend to shrink after a while
- BEST MILITARY SOCK ON THE MARKET: Medium-weight FoxSox take all your duty can dish out; extra cushioning softens the blows your feet take every day, quick-dry fibers make washing a simple task, superb fit minimizes bunching and blistering
- KEEP ODORS AT BAY: Scentry helps permanently defend your socks from odor; natural and man-made agents make this technology a sure way to be confident about sock odor, embedded fiber like silver or copper which slows wear and reduces odor in the sock
- CUSTOM FIT: URfit System provides the ultimate personalized response fit combining memory knit compression, a contoured rib top and spandex compression zones
- STAY DRY WITH WICK DRY: Our exclusive technology quickly draws moisture away from your skin so your feet stay dry and comfortable; removes any moisture build up which reduces hot spots and friction that causes blisters
Perfectly designed for hyper-active individuals who love hiking, mountain climbing, working with their hands, and general outdoor life, these MIRMARU Men’s 5 Pairs Multi Performance Trekking Crew Socks will go with you wherever you want to go. Since these socks are ideally designed for hiking and trekking, they aren’t quite as bulky as many other options on this list, which makes them ideal for a host of work boots. Regardless, these socks are well cushioned and ventilated for your added comfort.
Additionally, they are designed for gentle arch support. Furthermore, they have reinforced ankle and heel contours as well as compression zones that ensure they comfortably and ideally cling to your feet throughout the day.
These thick socks also have extra-padded underfeet that makes them quite comfortable and relaxing. As such, there are fewer chances of blister development even with prolonged wear. Made out of 55% combed cotton with 40% polyester, they are soft, cushiony, and very comfortable.
- They are ventilated enough to keep your feet dry and cool
- Extra-padded underfoot for increased comfort
- Ideal for outdoor action
- High enough to reach your mid-calf, making them great for all kinds of work boots
- It features compression zones to ensure that they stay on your feet
- Thick material makes them feel tighter than they actually are
- PERFORMANCE: The Best for Hiking, Camping, Mountain Biking, Trail Running, Backpacking, Travel, Trekking and Other Athletic Outdoor Activities and Wide Variety of Winter Sports.
- BLENDED FOR STRENGTH & DURABLILITY : Made of 55% Combed Cotton, 40% Polyester, 2% Spandex. Socks are designed to keep your feet warm and dry during the rigors of trekking the earth's wild place. They are Strong and durable socks.
- COMFORTABLE SUPPORT: Socks are reinforced with high-density fibers and pile cushioning in the underfoot area for added comfort when hiking, walking, or during any outdoor activities, It protects the foot from shear and prevents painful blisters
- DESIGNED TO BE COMPRESSED & FOR ELASTICITY: Socks are designed to feature a med-compressed & elasticity to gently support and protect an Arch, Ankle, Heels and Stay up, Compressed Top Holds the sock securely on the calf
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We stand behind our brand product, and we know these will be the best outdoor hiking socks you will ever wear. If for any reason you are not fully satisfied with our quality, simply send back the socks to Amazon.com within 60 days for full refund!
Even though these Darn Tough Men’s Merino Wool Micro Crew Socks were technically designed for hikers, but they are just the right blend of tough and comfortable, and they work perfectly well with work boots too.
Made out of 63% Merino Wool, 35% Nylon and 2% Lycra Spandex, these socks feature fast action wicking, which goes above and beyond to pull the moisture away from the skin on your feet, ensuring that they remain dry and fresh throughout the day.
All but guaranteeing you excellent all-weather performance, these socks are geared to keep you warm during winter and cool during summer.
Knitted to near perfection, these socks provide you with mid-level cushion density, ensuring that the sections under your feet remain comfortable and protected from the rigors that come with wearing work boots.
The socks also feature seamless technology, which makes the seams virtually undetectable. This not only increases their aesthetic value but their comfort levels as well. Unlike most work boot socks, these feature a micro crew height design, which means they are tall enough to peek above the top of your standard working or hiking boot.
- Fine gauge knitting for increased comfort and durability
- It features seamless technology for increased comfort and aesthetic value
- Fast-action wicking capabilities keep your feet dry and fresh
- Temperature-regulating capabilities make them all-weather
- The micro crew design may not be tall enough for most work boots
- MICRO CREW HEIGHT: A shorter, more concise take on the traditional crew height. Peeks just above the top of a standard hiking boot. For a shorter sock, check out style 1905. For a taller sock, check out style 1403.
- CUSHION: Mid-level cushion density under foot. A warm and ultra-comfortable choice when conditions demand it. For a sock with less cushion, check out style 1913.
- COMPOSITION: Crafted with 61% Merino Wool, 36% Nylon, 3% Lycra Spandex. 1441 stitches per square inch provides extra cushioning, durability, and a foot hugging fit.
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE: Darn Tough's famous guarantee - if these socks wear, tear, or develop holes, Darn Tough will replace them no questions asked. No strings. No conditions.
- MADE IN THE USA: Every pair of socks is knit in Northfield, Vermont - the perfect testing ground for the finest premium all weather performance socks.
The first thing you will notice about these Smartwool Men’s Work Crew Heavy Merino Wool Socks is that they are quite heavy, which not only makes them durable but adds to their level of protection.
Designed to accommodate 6-8″ work boots, they are crafted using a unique blend of elastane, Merino wool, and nylon combined with extreme precision and highly advanced technology. All that gives these socks high durability, extreme comfort, and their ability to stretch and fit perfectly.
These socks feature heavy cushion supports that allow you to avoid impacts underfoot. They also feature flat knit safety toe seams that offer increased comfort as well as durability. Additionally, they have arch and ankle support, which helps keep the socks in place and provides your feet with much-needed support during those long working hours.
- The flat-knit toe seam offers extra comfort
- It offers arch and ankle support
- The blend of materials makes these socks very soft and comfortable
- They have extra cushioning for impact absorption
- Designed for 6-8″ crew boots
- Kind of thick and heavy
- FUNCTION: Be prepared while you are out working by wearing these socks by Smartwool. The heaviest and most durable, these socks are built for performance in the highest degree making them ready for any adventure.
- FABRIC: Ideal to accommodate 6-8” work boots, these men's socks are made with extreme precision and advanced technology. Crafted from a unique blend of Merino wool, nylon, and elastane, these socks offer next-to-the-skin comfort, high durability, and stretch.
- BENEFIT: These merino wool socks for men provide arch and ankle support to keep the socks in place. The heavy cushion supports avoid impacts while the flat knit safety toe seam design offers additional comfort and durability.
- FIT DETAIL: With cushion and durability, these socks are comfortable and provide a secure fit that stays up right during any adventure on your list. Whether you are biking, running, skiing, or hiking these socks have impact absorption for any season.
- BRAND PROMISE: Smartwool brings comfort, confidence, and community to a life lived outside with the benefits of Merino Wool. From socks to apparel, Smartwool products deliver high performance to stay comfortable during all your outdoor adventures. Made in the USA.
If you are in the market for a bargain, you might want to give these GKX Men’s 10 Pairs Heavy Duty Work Boot Socks a second look. Not only are they beautifully designed to help protect your feet, but they come in a 10 pair pack that saves you money.
Made with soft cotton and extremely high-tech polyester blends, these socks provide nothing but premium quality protection. They feature spandex knitting, which ensures that they are snug and retain their shape through numerous washings. It also ensures that they are elastic and breathable, meaning that your feet will remain cool and dry.
Furthermore, the socks have extra cushioning in areas of high impact, which ensures that your feet are not only protected from potential pain during working hours but that they are also minimally exposed to the formation of blisters. The footbed in these socks is knit using thicker yarns, which offer extra comfort and durability regardless of how hard you work.
- It comes in a 10 pack
- Added heavy cushioning in impact areas for increased comfort
- Breathable enough to keep your feet cool and dry
- Premium quality, soft cotton for added comfort
- Reinforced heels and toes for durability
- Moisture-wicking capability to keep your feet fresh
- Machine wash
- The socks tend to leave black fuzz on your feet
- Premium Quality:Made with a soft cotton and high-tech polyester blend,these crew work socks use a spandex knitting to deliver a snug fit and retain shape even after repeated washings,breathable and elastic.
- Heavy Cushioned:Get the extra combination of softness and strength in our crew work socks. Cushioning place in areas of high impact to reduce sock and foot pain during your all season wearing,it help you to avoid blisters during your daily activity.
- Comfortable:Ultimate support in most situation,the feet bed is knit using thicker yarns for extra durability and comfort,no matter how hard you're working.
- Reinforced Heel & Toe: Reinforced heel and toe for industrial strength durability.The socks will last as long as your heavy duty work shoes or boots,performance fit.
- Moisture Wicking:The fibers transports sweat away so your feet stay dry all days with the socks Quickly.The feature special moisture properties to keep your feet smelling fresh under any conditions.
There are crew socks, and then there are these TCK Moisture Wicking Work Crew Socks for Men & Women. Featuring Dry IQ Technology, they are knit from extremely soft, spun polyester and have mesh panels to ensure that the socks have unparalleled breathability to keep your feet dry and comfortable throughout the day.
Furthermore, these socks have padded sections strategically placed along the footbed to give you extra comfort, whether walking, jogging, working, or even standing on hard concrete all day.
Apart from the padded comfort, these socks also offer a superior fit thanks to a light compression band around the arch. This band ensures that your socks stay in place. Furthermore, the socks have a smooth toe seam that works well to keep your toes happy and not bunched up inside the boots.
Finally, they feature an extended length, making them a good fit for almost every type of crew boot.
- Extra padded sections for increased comfort
- Extra length makes them ideal for almost every crew boot
- They feature Dry IQ Technology, which gives them excellent breathability
- offers a superior fit
- They can get a little tight after a few washes
- EVERYDAY COMFORT: Take your basic crew sock and throw it out, because this is the crew sock to end all crew length socks. With features like its seamless toe, cushioned foot, stay-put arch band, reinforced toe and heel, and a comfort ribbed leg, you will be wearing the ultimate in footwear day in and day out.
- DRY IQ TECHNOLOGY: Knit from a ultra soft, spun polyester and featuring mesh panels for extra breathability, these TCK Crew Socks will go the distance in keeping your feet comfortable and dry over the course of your day.
- PADDED COMFORT: Strategically placed cushioning along the footbed designed to cradle your feet in all day comfort, whether standing on concrete, working construction, working out, jogging, walking or even just sitting at your desk.
- SUPERIOR FIT: A light compression band around the arch of the foot ensures that our socks stay in place and do not slip or slide. A smooth toe seam keeps your toes happy and not bunched up inside your shoe. They are an extended crew length making them a perfect length for work boots.
- SOCK & SIZING INFORMATION: Medium (Women's Shoe Size: 5-10. Men's Shoe Size 6-9.5) Large (Women's Shoe Size 10-13. Men's Shoe Size 9.5-12). X-Large (Men's Shoe Size of 12.5 - 15). Made of high quality materials. Made of 96% Polyester, 3% Rubber, 1% Spandex.
Best Work Boot Socks Buyers’ Guide
You need to consider a few key factors before buying the best work boot socks for your needs. These include:
Height and Fit
How well your work boots fit you will partly determine how comfortable you are in them. When it comes to the height of the socks, you need to consider what kind of crew boots you wear. Your socks should be long enough to cover your skin and protect it from rubbing against the boot’s collar. In many cases, this often means wearing socks that are at least long enough to reach your mid-calf.
Weight and Thickness
While thicker socks tend to offer more cushioning and keep your feet warm during winter, they might be a disadvantage in summer. As such, you need to either have more than one pair (thicker socks for winter and lighter ones for summer) or buy a pair that offers you selective extra padding in strategic sections of your feet while providing you with the kind of breathability that you may need in summer.
Because you are probably going to be wearing these socks for long periods of time, you need socks that are made out of fabric that will not only feel soft on your skin but also keep your feet dry and breathable.
Cotton, despite being a popular material for most garments, isn’t exactly the best type of material for crew socks. This is mostly because cotton tends to absorb the moisture from your feet and doesn’t dry up as quickly as would be ideal. This means that you are more likely to develop blisters when wearing cotton socks and a bad odor.
With that in mind, the best type of material for your crew socks should be wool and a host of other synthetic options such as nylon, Lycra, and spandex. Better yet, socks made out of a blend of all these materials work perfectly. They have that unmatched wicking capacity that works well with crew boots.
Are thick socks better for work boots?
Both yes and no. Thicker socks offer you extra protection and keep your shoes from rubbing up against the boots so much that they minimize your chances of developing blisters. On the other hand, they tend to be warm and ideal for winter and cold weather but not so much for summer. Something in between is best.
Are wool socks the best for work boots?
Wool is an excellent material for work boots, including steel toe work boots. It’s breathable and quick-drying compared to cotton. However, the best work boots are made out of a blend of wool, spandex, nylon, and Lycra.
Can you wear the same work boot socks throughout the week?
While there may be situations that call for you to wear the same work boot socks for prolonged periods of time, it’s advisable to try and change your socks as often as possible. This allows your feet to breathe and ensures that the socks don’t develop a bad odor because of a sweaty foot.